Longmont, Colorado
Longmont, Colorado

Historical Properties

SVHS owns and maintains four historic properties on behalf of the community’s enjoyment and education: Historic Hoverhome, the Hover Farmstead, Old Mill Park, and “Old” St. Stephen’s Church.  These sites are the focus of Society’s restoration and preservation projects, and are the backdrop for a variety of educational programs and fundraising events.

Historic Hoverhome

1309 Hover Street  |  Longmont, Colorado

In  late 1997 the Society purchased Hoverhome. The impressive brick residence and the utilitarian, frame farm buildings are inextricably linked to each other and to Longmont’s agricultural past. In January 1999, Hoverhome and the Hover Farmstead were entered as an historic district in the National Register of Historic Places. The Society has undertaken a multi-phase preservation plan for the home, and is continuing development of the Farmstead for the benefit of generations to come.

 

Hoverhome (303) 774-7810 (please leave a detailed message)

 

 

 

Old Mill Park

237 Pratt Street  |  Longmont, Colorado

 The park is open to the public daily from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the spring and summer months only.

 

Old Mill Park was dedicated August 1, 1976 for historical and educational purposes. Containing original buildings, plantings, and artifacts, it has been designated a landmark by the City of Longmont. The Townley House (1871) guards the entrance to the park which houses the Affolter Cabin (1860), the Billings Cabin (1890), the Hauke Milk House (1860), and the Gildner Gazebo (1916). The Secor Centennial Garden and surrounding flower beds are beautifully maintained. There is also a stage and a picnic area.

 

The Park is open to the public from 10:00am to 6:00pm daily  during the spring and summer season unless reserved for private events. To help provide protection for the park, Old Mill Park is closed during the winter season.

 

This minipark was created by the St. Vrain Historical Society through the purchase of Townley House and the donation of the Secor Centennial Garden by Bill and Betty Jo Secor. Later purchases included adjoining properties on Pratt and Bross Streets. Each back yard was included in the park and some of the houses were retained as rental properties to help support the project.

 

One hour docent lead tours can be scheduled from April through October for groups of up to 30 people.

 

For information about tours and reservations, call the SVHS business office at (303) 776-1870.

The Hover Farmstead

1303 Hover Road  |  Longmont, Colorado

 

SVHS  began work to preserve the Hover farmstead with the purchase of the original farmhouse in 1994 and the other agricultural buildings in 1996. Initial restoration of the farmhouse and farm buildings was completed in 1997, as was the reconstruction of the Hover Barn which had been destroyed in an arson fire in 1995.

 

In January 1999, Hover Farmstead was entered as an historic district in the National Register of Historic Places. The society continues the preservation efforts and development of this historic district for the benefit of the community.

 

Today, surrounded by residential development and growth, the Hover Farmstead is a powerful reminder of Longmont’s disappearing agricultural heritage.

 

Public tours of the farmstead can be scheduled through the SVHS office at
(303) 776-1870.

 

 

"Old" St. Stephen's Church

470 Main Street  |  Longmont, Colorado

Old” St. Stephen’s became the property of the Society as the result of a community-wide effort to save the church from demolitions. Built in 1881, the former Episcopal Church has been restored to its original red brick. St. Stephen’s plaza is now where the old auxiliary buildings used to stand. This church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated a local landmark. Since 2005 this building has been used as the office of the Society and is open to the public by appointment.

The St. Vrain Historical Society, Inc.

1309 Hover Street

Longmont, CO 80501

(303) 776-1870

Print Print | Sitemap
© St. Vrain Historical Society